With this update we note the addition of 342 new articles to Grove Music Online from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music (AmeriGrove), edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett, including biographies on Billie Holiday, Dave Holland, Claude Baker, Maxwell Anderson, and David Arnold, and subject entries on African American music, art music, and censorship. The first edition (1986) is widely considered the definitive reference work on the subject, and while some of the topics in this update appeared in the first edition, all are completely new to Grove Music Online and have been updated for the project.
This AmeriGrove update continues to expand the scope of Grove’s coverage, including over 200 new articles on jazz music and musicians, 23 on concert music post-1950, 15 on concert music from 1900–1950, 11 on popular music, 7 on Asian American music, and 7 on Gospel music.
We invite you to explore this AmeriGrove update through this sampling of entries added:
Three years ago, in response to feedback from scholars, we launched UpdateGMO, a major program to ensure that Grove content remains authoritative and useful to researchers. This update includes 26 articles that have been revised through this program, including entries on Sir Harrison Birtwistle, William Boyce, Ferrara, and Roman Palester.
Hundreds of articles have been updated through this program so far, but there is still much work to be done and we need your help. On behalf of the editorial team and Editor in Chief Deane Root, we invite you to participate by emailing the editors at updateGMO@oup.com to
- Submit updates to your articles
- Suggest corrections, revisions, or new articles
- Send us your current contact information
- Tell us what you think
Oxford Index Underbar
You now have access (or will soon have access) to the Oxford Index underbar (beta), a free tool that generates links to related content from all Oxford University Press online resources, including scholarly monographs, journal articles, and more. For example, if you’re researching “Mozart” on Oxford Music Online, the underbar will draw from a variety of Oxford resources to give you further results on that topic. Clicking the arrows located at the bottom of the browser will expand the underbar, enhancing your search experience. For more information about the Oxford Index discovery service, watch our video or go to the Oxford Index website.
- The September 2012 update saw the addition of nearly 200 new AmeriGrove articles and increased coverage of specific music genres including country and bluegrass, musical theater, and hip hop.
- The March 2012 update increased coverage of American choral music as well as concert music after 1950.
- The December 2011 update included a focus on Australian composers and musical instruments.
- The July 2011 update included the first installment of 88 articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments as well as 198 new articles from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, and featured articles about dance, film music and Hispanic/Latino music.
- The March 2011 update spotlighted the music education, music and dance, and Hispanic/Latino music articles included in the 198 new articles added from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The November 2010 update featured the continued content expansion of material from the second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, with a focus on 19th-century music, organ music, and scholars and librarians.
- The June 2010 update further expanded contemporary music coverage in Grove, and introduced 200 articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The March 2010 update focused primarily on 19th-century American music, introducing 250 new articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music.
- The December 2009 update introduced 100 new articles from the forthcoming second edition of The Grove Dictionary of American Music, including entries on conductors, composers, educators, librarians, and subjects related to band music (instrument makers, bandmasters, and organizations).
- The September 2009 update focused on contemporary composers and announced the appointment of Deane Root as Editor in Chief. (Read the press release and Dr. Root’s first Letter from the Editor.)
- The June 2009 update focused on new and revised articles on both operas and opera singers, drawn primarily from the Grove Book of Opera Singers.